Topic: Always scrolls to top, when clicking a menu iteam

Hi,

i found out: If you have a long menu and tip an item that is on the bottom of the page, safari scrolls on top of the page before opening the new layer.

Is this a bug or can it be switched off?

Regards!

webapper

Re: Always scrolls to top, when clicking a menu iteam

No you can't directly. Anyway the behavior will be worst without this.

You can always try to disable it with the debug version and see how it goes.

This behavior is actually a nice usability feature which helps the user identify where in the app they are when they tap 'back' to the long list. It also makes the most of the header merge effect, which would look very odd without a header to merge. Why try to disable it?

Before I started used WAn, I  read a few forum posts for other iPhone web app frameworks, and one common criticism from users of other systems was that they don't have this 'scroll up and slide' behavior. WAn is used as an example of what the other systems should aspire to in respect of links at the bottom of long lists. Obviously this is down to personal taste, but I for one like the effect, and suspect that Apple would agree.

I think in certain cases such behavior is non-user friendly (e.g. a rss reader list, where you want to return to the position where you left, and not to scroll again through the list to find the last item you visited).

Moreover if you add target="_self" to a direct link, then the item clicked got 'stuck' in '_sel' state (highlighted). It actually can be nice -- a user can see visited  items.

However I would prefer more universal solution - where this 'scroll before slide' effect can be disabled. E.g. IUI does this without srolling up (althought has a lot of other disadvantages)

Last edited by apbot (2010-02-13 10:57:20)

Oh I see. I've only used WAn as an app in it's own right i.e. where there is no 'back' button and everything is loaded at runtime and other content is only loaded asyncronously, so I'm not aware of that issue. As WAn is (I presume) primarily intended to be used in this way (emulating a native app), I don't see this as a priority issue.

Last edited by apbot (2010-02-13 11:18:39)

I'm actually agreeing with you here, that the auto-scroll behavior is not ideal. I think Crilith did it because the header is not fixed, so I see that as the main issue here, in that if the header was always fixed at the top of the viewport then there would be no need to have the auto-scrolling action at all.

pastrykit can do that, however, no available docs makes it impossible to use (unless you are JS guru)
In some other framework (forget which one) - these was an option do add class="noeffect"  to a link - then it just follows regular browser behavior.

Last edited by apbot (2010-02-13 11:34:21)